What We Do
The Social and Entrepreneurial Resource Village (SERV Detroit Initiative) improves the lives of residents through community economic development services and entrepreneurial efforts. The SERV Detroit Initiative deploys year-round programs to help eliminate blight, improve quality of life, and provide home accessibility repairs and small business support.
community economic development
Joy Southfield Community Development Corporation has played a pivotal role in addressing the economic challenges within Detroit’s District 7.
There is a comprehensive approach to fighting poverty driven by residents of District 7 with public resources and community engagement to meet basic needs, to stimulate growth and to strengthen neighborhoods and economic opportunities.
In short, JSCDC enables individuals and communities that may otherwise be at the margins of society to help themselves up the ladder of opportunity to greater levels of self-sufficiency.
Residents of disadvantaged communities continue to find that housing is more expensive, jobs are more elusive and financial stability remains out of reach. Even more challenging is obtaining the capital needed to stimulate economic activity. Now more than ever we need a strong and innovative CED sector to help reverse these trends.
In Detroit, Joy Southfield Community Development Corporation is leading through bold and innovative strategies. Working closely with District 7 and local neighborhood organizations, JSCDC is providing sound leadership, easy access to programming and a strong voice for what matters most to our residents. In all of our work, we are committed to excellence, integrity, transparency, inclusion and impact. We invite you to join us in this necessary effort to make sure that the communities we serve have access to the resources needed to reach their full potential.
HEALTHY HOMES RX
Just like your physical body, your home needs to be cared for or it can become “sick.” Healthy Homes Rx is designed to reduce the symptoms leading to an “illness.” Through inspections, education and repairs. Healthy Homes Rx is a 2-year program designed to support you in keeping your home healthy. Each family that applies and is approved for the program will receive a home inspection. To evaluate clean ventilation systems, lead paint hazards, asthma triggers and other potential household hazards. The assessment will also include fire and life safety inspections.
We will provide education on the importance of regular home maintenance along with a planned maintenance program that will assist in reducing future repairs and costs associated with owning a home. Our staff will continue to work with each family during the two years to monitor health intervention inputs, calculate return on investments (qualitative and quantitative) and maximize positive outcomes.
Cody Rouge Business Association
The cody rouge business association (CRBA) GOALS:
- Encourage, promote, and support the growth and development of existing and new businesses that are well planned, of high quality, and provide a balance of commercial, residential and industrial opportunities that enhances the quality of life for all businesses and residents in the area.
- Create membership directories that promote member businesses and establish connections between those businesses and nearby residents.
- Foster networking and cross-promotion among businesses.
- Create awards to present to businesses that make outstanding contributions to the community, financially, aesthetically, and from an operational standpoint.
- Institute fee structures that build capacity to promote member businesses, networking events for members and support community & business development projects.
jscdc economic development model goals:
- To attract green businesses
- Create green jobs
- Stabilize our neighborhoods
Completed Blue Green
3 Significant Bioswale installations in the Cody Rouge and Warrendale communities
The bioswale method protects surface waters lessening stormwater runoff by slowing and reducing water volume while straining out pollutants. It is typically a moderately sloped swale planted with plants native to the region. The longer stormwater can stay in the bioswale area, the more pollutants will be filtered out.
Benefits of a bioswale include:
- Protects local watersheds from stormwater pollutants
- Reduces non-point pollution by filtering stormwater
- Creates habitat for wildlife, including pollinators (birds, bees, and butterflies)
- Reduces standing water that can attract mosquitoes and other pests
- Creates colorful gardens with a variety of flowers and plants year-round
- Requires little maintenance after plants are established